Pages

I love fun.

Saturday, March 24, 2012


A year or two ago, I downloaded the fun. EP “Aim and Ignite." I mean, I definitely paid for except that I didn’t because I was a poor college student at the time and I couldn’t afford to buy anything that wasn’t textbooks or food or gas. I was really excited because I had been a fan of The Format for a long time and I knew that Nate was singing for fun. as well so I thought it would be The Format Pt. 2.  It was a good CD and I didn’t know that anything else was really going to be coming out from them for a while.

Suddenly (or probably not actually suddenly, haha. It had been a while),  "We Are Young" becomes super huge (that’s what she said). It’s on the radio everywhere and everyone is listening to it and of course I think it’s a good song but I can’t listen to it without cringing. 

In situations like these, I fight it. I fight the urge to like the song on the radio (even though I love it) because I’m that person. It turns into this thing where I think that because I liked Nate’s voice and work prior to now (The Format + fun.) and no one appreciated it this much before, I have the right to get stubborn and bitter. I can’t enjoy the song for myself just because everyone else is enjoying it. (Side note: I don't dislike anyone who does like the song - there isn't any bitterness there. Just wanted to clear that up!)

On Friday, after a month or two of fighting, I decided to stop and truly enjoy the song for what it is. Like I said, of course I love it. I just had to get over my stubbornness. Since then, life’s been awesome. The end.

Moral of the story: I shouldn't be stubborn about these kinds of things because in the end, I'm only making myself miserable/less happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment